Friday, January 25, 2008

Tapioca Soup, snowflurries, yogurt that made cheese, and more!


Sarajevo, Bosnia

January 25th, 2008

oops I almost said 2007!


:) Hi all! Hope your day is warm and bright ...... well let me tell you I have had a busy week! I had hoped to blog more often, but twice in one week is better than I've been doing......

Tie has asked me twice if I have blogged to tell you all about my tapioca pudding experience......uh - hum.......well the other night we were working on a project together and he asked if I would make some tapioca pudding. Of course. So I hop into the kitchen and feeling confident I just went off my memory for the pudding.....it takes a while to make it, and then it takes about 20 mintues to cool and set....... :) I go and get his pudding about 20 minutes later, and it is sloshy. I went, "Hmmm?" and then I thought, "oh my..." I had used and extra cup of milk.....instead of 2 3/4 I used 3 3/4......it was after midnight already so I took the soup to him, that was to be pudding and set it down....he put his spoon in and said, "Whoa...." :) I giggled...and said I'll make you more but I messed up. Nothing like honesty is there? He laughed and slurped it right out his bowl....I'm sure his mom would be proud ! I made him tapioca a few days later and he reminded me to follow the directions....in a joking manner...so now that is a joke for us...the soupy tapioca. Pretty funny, to us anyway.


Another lovely cooking experience this week that I just rolled my eyes about.......I wanted to make homemade yogurt. You boil the milk the night before, cool it off, add some plain no sugar yogurt like 3 tbs, then you wrap it in teatowels and leave it over night. DONE. NO PROBLEM.


The next day I'm following the directions, I put a cheese cloth in a strainer that was sitting in a glass bowl and was ladeling the milky substance into the cheese cloth....well Sabina came in, she comes and cleans some for Tie....well. WeLl.......SHE thought what I was doing was incorrect....and proceeded to bump me out of the way....at first I thought - oh she knows what she is doing....WRONG OH BUCK OH. she made a complete mess of my masterpiece and it was goign to be a nice surprise for Tie.....I listened to her and smiled and said thank you, what could I do? I was so mad....then I decided to just drop it........I thought after my pilates class I could fix the mess she just made. What she was doing was incorrect for the yogurt.....you are supposed to let it drain/strain on its own in the fridge.....there wern't enough post it notes in the apartment to play pictionary for her to get that part of the process....so she was forcing it through the strainer....and smiling and sayting "Toe Toe" like, "See see" she was so proud of what she was doing.....I just smiled and thought, eh - I will do this on my own again.......but you are supposed to let it drain to get the excess water out of the milk and that settles and what makes it yogurt....pretty nifty process. So I'll try it again, and no I'm not mad at Sabina ..... now I chuckle.....and roll my eyes.

OK well my picture today is the vanishing enchilada casserole! I mean "WHAM" it was gone in instants.....we are going to have dinner parties so I've been practicing cooking instead of worrying about ordering out so much greasy food....yuick. anyway so I made this enchilada casserole and i even made the enchilada sauce! that was a very proud moment....and I had that for dinner and the egg casserole that I shared with you last week, the recipe. anyway Tie said he would take both.....and he gobbled up the casserole...I barely got the pix that I did before he took the entire dish away! So I suppose it was really tasty....I don't know I barely got a bite....eh, just kidding.


The Egg casserole was great.....except you just don't have everything here in Bosnia so it had a sharper taste and wasn't as fluffy.....

Well I shall blog to you all sooon!

happy cooking.

share those recipes!

:) NElle

No comments: