Monday, January 21, 2008

Sunny Days.....talking about.....

Sarajevo, Bosnia
January 21st, 2008.

Hello dear friends. How u be? I'm doing great....I enjoyed the nice holiday break....I didn't cook at ALL while we were home! Oh, lie. I did make a pumpkin pie for Tie....he claims it is his favorite dessert...maybe not my pie, but the dessert "pumpkin pie" :)
Well.....the month off from the kitchen didn't leave me less desirable to test out my new spices, bowls, measuring spoons....I never knew collecting kitchen utensils would be so fun!

BUT IT IS.

Ok, I emailed those of you who are on the AITK email list 3 recipes this week......I made the egg casserole. Here is what is great and not so great about living in Bosnia. It's great because cooking is a challenge. It's not so great because cooking is a challenge. The recipe calls for cottage cheese...monteray jack cheese....cream cheese....well I picked the best contenders in the dairy section. I think I ended up with sourcream, a flavored very pasty cream cheese, and some stinky shredded cheese that made my toes curl.....but hey, the egg casserole turned out great! I didn't have Tony's regular I had Tony's creole seasoning and boy it gave it quite a kick.....but I smiled. I made an egg casserole. Yes I did.

I got these really cool measuring spoons and I felt silly for buying them because I have a pair already, but I hate dry ingredients calling for 1 tsp and wet ingredients calling for 1 tsp....really frustrates me.....so that was my "justifiable" reason for buying a new set. Well not only that but props to me for finding a way to conserve space! they are the flipper kind. Like the Tablespoon is 1 tbs on one side, flip it over and push the silicone side down and wah - lah you have 1/2 a tbs.!
woohoO!

Our taco shells made it across the Atlantic ocean without being crushed and I made an enchilada casserole. I have a hard time following recipes...I read them, memorize them, and twist them to my own flavor. Is that bad?
I took a pix of the casserole and I'm glad I did when I did because Tie came along and scooped the rest up and finished it off. I would never say Tie is a picky eater, but he won't eat things he doesn't care for...so saying that he won't eat something by being nice to me. Which is GREAT.

well I have lots to tell you, but I'll just spread it out over the next few days....sorry to be absent for so long, but oh my dears. I'm Back and Cooking in my new aprons I got for Christmas. Thanks Happy! and Mom! woohoo!

toodles,
Nelle

No comments: