Monday, January 28, 2008

Forehand and Backhand....

Sarajevo, Bosnia
1.29.07
Today is my friend Jazmyn's bday (Jasmine Mulliken from Yukon HS) so happy bday to you. I made pasta for lunch, woohoo. I had my first tennis lesson in my life today, I have "small hope for improvement" :) ah, kind words......
Just thought I'd post a few tips I've received from some groups I'm in online....so here they are:

to make brown sugar -
in a food processor pulse
light brown sugar - 1 cup sugar 2 tbsp molasses,
dark brown sugar - 1 cup sugar, 3 tbsp molasses
this was on martha stewart show last week
(from taste of home bb pipsgrann in Cooking Techniques)
***********************************************************************************

Question: If you don't have cream of tartar is there a substitute? I am baking Snickerdoodle cookies. - Christine Elgin (7/17/01)
Answers:
The answer is, there is not a good substitution. If cream of tartar is used along with baking soda in a cake or cookie recipe, omit both and use baking powder instead. If it calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.Normally, when cream of tartar is used in a cookie, it is used together with baking soda. The two of them combined work like double-acting baking powder. When substituting for cream of tartar, you must also substitute for the baking soda. If your recipe calls for baking soda and cream of tarter, I would just use baking powder.One teaspoon baking powder is equivalent to 1/4 teaspoon baking soda plus 5/8 teaspoon cream of tartar. If there is additional baking soda that does not fit into the equation, simply add it to the batter.Remember - When making substitutions in baking, you may end up with a somewhat different product. The taste, moisture content, texture and weight of a product can be affected by changing ingredients.
( posted by Taste of home bb: sstetzel in Cooking Techniques)
************************************************************************************

if anyone ever has a question or needs some advice don't hesitate to email our group....I'm sure between most of us we can find the answers!

Happy COoking Monday............ ps thanks Taundra for your kind words!!

N E L L E (that's Aunt Nelle to you miss Rena Grace!)

No comments: